The Desert of the Real

Source

Stop. Now. The present moment. This second. Breathe in, breathe out. Ask yourself who you are and why you’re reading this content. Ask yourself why I’m writing it. Stop for a moment and feel for your heartbeat. If you can’t find it, wait until it shows up. Take another breath. Blink. When you are here with me, continue reading.

What gives? Well, I’m attempting (in a roundabout way) to compel you into the present moment. Chances are I’m having to fight tooth-and-nail for a spot amidst your stream of consciousness. You are, as I am, always fighting the unending stream of unconscious thoughts and images that seek to reclaim our attention.

Even now as I write this post the battle is being waged. Homework. Class in the morning. Programming. The words and images fly off my fingers before my mind can politely decline the offer. In this moment I am struggling to direct the spotlight of my mind to focus on the task at hand, which ironically, is to articulate the relevance of attention to technology.

This post is wildly incomplete, and should be treated as such. Err, scratch that. This post is done. Dun. Dun. Dun. (Hue Hue Hue.)

As I’m so interested in the topic I’ve decided to make this into a series. When I return to it, I’ll be discussing how technology impacts this topic.